10.23.2005

Oh boy

I am not a good temporary worker in corporate Amerika. At my new job, where I am working a temp to (maybe) perm position, I have all the current assistants sizing me up to see how good of a worker I'd be. As if it takes such work ethic to be an admin asst. However, for those who find this their career, I guess they look at young me and think, "Who does she think she is, waltzing in here all carefree."

A simple greeting of "Good morning" is not only standard in places I've previously worked, but appreciated. Especially when in 5 minutes, you know you'll be asking me to assist you in some manner. Ihave to keep asking myself, are we working together, or against each other? Is there an admin competition I wasn't aware I'd entered when I accepted this temp job? One where we watched each other like hawks for performance but acted like we didn't see the other person unless it was to our advantage?

The worst part about working as a temp, (besides holidays with no pay, crappy benefits) is folks expect you to automatically know how it works in that office. I have news, each office is different. Each office has its particulars and here's another newsflash: I need to be informed of YOUR office's ways of doing things. As bright as I am, my talents have not reached the paranormal level yet. Which, is probably a good thing because the first thing I'd do is join Anakin over on the dark side and learn how to fry those fuckers who consistently piss me off.

Recently, I've just been bugging the officials in SA to send me my acceptance letter to the uni so that I can book my plane ticket.

3 Comments :

Anonymous Anonymous said:

"As bright as I am, my talents have not reached the paranormal level yet. Which, is probably a good thing because the first thing I'd do is join Anakin over on the dark side and learn how to fry those fuckers who consistently piss me off."

Bravo! Teach me when you figure it out ;-)

10/23/2005 3:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said:

so am i the last to know that you moved back to blogger????? all this time i've been madly checking the design spot....

10/26/2005 2:49 PM  
Blogger Jacque said:

Oh no! I'm so sorry. I should definitely update that one, too.

10/26/2005 6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home