11.15.2005

Story Time - Why did I go natural?

I’ve been wearing my hair, chemical free, for about 4 years now. I began the natural process the summer before my junior year of college, mostly because I just couldn’t afford the price of a professional relaxer in California. At about $60 for a relaxer*, and $40 for a wash and set, this college girl did not have the funds to upkeep her cost friendly New York beauty regime.** Going natural seemed a good option, because I figured I could learn to maintain my own hair styles as well as give my hair some time to regenerate itself. After about 8 years of a relaxer, I knew that my hair was beginning to think out and break off. Going natural would allow me to grow my hair stronger, and save a few books.

I chose to go the route of “cut and grow”. While some choose to gradually cut their hair, I braided mine and then went for a big chop 2 months later, then went back to braids until I learned how to style it, independently without extensions. However, I began to realize that my going natural was more a of big deal to friends and family than it was to myself. I wanted to save some bucks, my mom joked that I was going through a midlife crisis, and friends complained that I was messing up my “good” hair.*** But I carried on.

My decision was one I always stood by, because the resistance to my change was fascinating. I have no plans to EVER go back, as I remember the times of burnt scalp, stinky lye products and worst of all, the tacky appearance of a worn out relaxer. To me, the aesthetic of healthy natural hair beats out a straight, thin relaxed look any day. And I hope to show you the different phases my process with personal photos soon. However I do at times straighten my hair with a hot comb, and my next goal is to become “straightened-free”. I hope to stop straightening my hair in it’s entirety and only weird my hair tightly coiled. Perhaps we can address the aesthetic issues of straight versus curly when we talk about styles.

*I’ve switch up relaxer or perm(permanent), because they’re the most common phrases. But they mean the same thing, any chemical process used to straighten the naturally tightly coiled strands of our hair. A texturizer that “soften” or is a “baby relaxer” is also a chemical, and is not a natural style.

**In NYC, you can get a wash and set for about $20, a relaxer for $40. I went to the hairdresser every two weeks growing up, my aunt found a place that does wash and sets for $7, she goes every week.

***Of course, none offered to pay the high cost of maintaining a healthy relaxer, so I ignored them all. I have tough skin and usually don’t care much what people say once I’ve made up my mind.

2 Comments :

Blogger sonj said:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/16/2005 9:47 PM  
Blogger sonj said:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11/16/2005 9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home