4.16.2006

Who decides what the qualities of a Scholar are?

Last night I had a great night. Chilled during the day and I decided not to go to Soweto with Luke because I wanted to be up and do work this morning. So I went out with Ikumi to a house party and had a great time. I met some new people, and it was just interesting to be in a room full of difference. We were: American, Japanese, Congolese, French, Kenyan and Australian. So cool!

Afterwards, Ikumi told me that Ryan, one of the other scholars on the program and professed "do the most good"-er in the world told her that he didn't think I was doing my duty as a Rotary scholar. Apparently the other scholars in Joburg want to take this stupid self-righteous "walk" through the most "AIDS-ridden" areas of South Africa at the end of the year to "raise awareness" about an organization called Rotarians for Fighting AIDS (or something like that).

Ryan and Keegan, who've gone to the meeting for this organization and are admittedly critical of some of the things the organization stands for, says this walk would be good for national coverage in the States. Meanwhile this Rotary organization accepts money from PEPFAR, and the speaker contested that it was important to fight AIDS because, "Today's AIDS orphan could be tomorrow's Osama Bin Laden." Ryan and Keegan are the ones who've shared this story with me.

Is there any guess why I don't want to do this walk? If we were planning to bring medicine to remote areas that are harder to reach but are in dire need of resources, I'd do it. If we were volunteering at an orphange, providing a much needed vacation for some hard workers I'd do it. Walking through South Africa, taking pictures, and only interacting with South Africans to ask for directions, is not my idea of a quality fundraiser or even a good way to use my time and labor. Not only is their project selfish and ridiculous, it's beyond easy and does nothing to engage the issues surrounding HIV/AIDS in South Africa.

Although I've not had this huge discussion with Ryan, I merely said, "no thanks" when he asked if I would join, he believes that he has the authority to dictate the terms of a scholar. Ikumi says she's worried that Ryan is going to get me kicked out of the program. I laughed in her face, and then I laughed louder because she thinks Ryan is significant in this world or to me. I asked Ikumi why Ryan didn't bring this up to me if he was so concerned, she said he's intimidated by me and finds it hard to talk to me. I laughed again. Then Ikumi asked me if I would consider making an effort to talk to Ryan and be more active in scholar activities. I kept laughing. I'm not clear on what these scholar activities are that Ryan is engaging in. Partying in Durban with other Americans and a Canadian. Chilling with his other Canadian friend who drives him around so he doesn't have to take public transportation. Oh, going out with his white South African friends to Sandton, Melrose or some other white-only Afrikaans event?

I think it's interesting how privileged white men think they can come to an African country and save it from their race's own historical rape, pillage and injustices by only interacting with their white brethen. Ryan's arrogance knows no bounds, but it'll be introduced to some very soon.

5 Comments :

Blogger Jacque said:

Thanks for the support, Ann. You know how much I hate conflict.

4/17/2006 6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said:

Slap him! Slap him! :)

4/18/2006 12:21 AM  
Blogger Jacque said:

Hahaha! Such violence from such a sweet girl!

4/18/2006 1:02 PM  
Blogger sonj said:

i really don't think you even need to bring it up with him. he already knows how you feel about this "walk." if he has a beef - then he has a beef. you are too busy taking in this new experience to be trying to make him feel comfortable. after all, this is your year - not his. i mean you're in a new country, for a year, for free (!) and they want you to get hung up on his issues? *rolls eyes* please.

this is exactly what happened with my first roommate (another overeager Rotary scholar) - which is why i cut her loose (and kept both the flat and the car!) and went about my way because i wasn't interested in holding her hand and helping her navigate Black culture (as she asked - for real). so yeah: do you. and rest assured no one is going to "kick you out." haha i had to laugh at that one!

4/18/2006 4:04 PM  
Blogger Jacque said:

I agree. I decided not even to give him the time of day because that would be giving him too much credit. So I'm not even dealing with him on any level.

4/18/2006 5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home